Imre Makovecz

Imre Makovecz and the nomadic generation

A series of discussions conducted by "sound architect" Ferenc Kiss started in February is taking place five times every month and is ending in June at the Makovecz Centre and Archives (2 Városkúti Street, Budapest, 1125). The program has been organized by the Imre Makovecz Foundation.
The oeuvre of the world-renowned architect, founder and eternal honorary president of HAA, Imre Makovecz is connected in numerous ways to the folk art movement unfolded in the 1970s. Imre Makovecz's spirit made a great impact on the so-called nomadic generation. Besides architects, musicians, craftsmen and dancers also regard him as their master. His influence is still alive and significant in the current field of folk art and contemporary art.
The dates and the participants of the program series are the following:
20 February 2019, from 18.00, Zoltán Szabó (etnographer, folk musician and music teacher)
20 March 2019, from 18.00, Katalin Szvorák (performer)
24 April 2019, from 18.00, Gábor Eredics (folk musician)
22 May 2019, from 18.00, Mari Nagy Mari and István Vidák (textile artists)
12 June 2019, from 18.00, Tamás Henics (photographer)
Imre Makovecz (20 November 1935 – 27 September 2011) was an outstanding Hungarian architect active in Europe from the late 1950s onwards. He was born and died in Budapest. As he was one of the most prominent exponents of organic architecture, his buildings harmonize with the natural surroundings rather than triumph over them. He graduated at the Budapest University of Technology and later in Switzerland he got acquainted with the teachings of Rudolf Steiner. Frank Lloyd Wright and Rudolf Steiner were strong influences on him, as was traditional Hungarian art. In 1970 he visited the legendary architect Károly Kós in Transylvania. His first exhibition abroad was in Finland and later he received several international awards. He was elected as honorary member by the American Institute of Architects and the Royal Institute of British Architects, and he received the Grand Medal of the French Academy of Architecture. With twenty-two other artists he established the Hungarian Academy of Arts as an association in 1992, and later HAA became a public body by law in 2011. The first English language monograph on his work entitled Imre Makovecz: The Wings of the Soul by Edwin Heathcote was published in 1997. His key works are the following: Cultural Center, Sárospatak (completed in 1982), Sports Hall, Visegrád (1985), Town Hall and Commercial Center of Dunajská Streda (Dunaszerdahely), Community Center, Kakasd (1996), the buildings of the Piliscsaba campus of Pázmány Péter Catholic University designed by his team, Hungarian pavilion at the Seville Expo '92 in Seville, Spain, Cultural Centre, Szigetvár (1985), Swimming Pool, Eger (1993), Onion House Theatre, Makó (1995), Stephaneum, Piliscsaba (1995), Bus terminal, Makó (2010).
February 10, 2019